1. Attend our Annual Tree Lighting- The event will take place Friday Dec 5th at 6:30 PM in front of the library. Christmas songs will be led by the MCS singers as the tree is being lit. Afterward, we’ll head down to the second floor of the Town Hall for cookies, cocoa, and a very special guest.
2. Join a Book Group- We’ll be reading Agatha Christie’s Murder at the Vicarage, a classic mystery. This month’s meeting will take place Wednesday, Dec 17th at 6:30 PM. New members are always welcome.
3. Find a book on Christmas and/or Hanukkah- The library has plenty of fun Holiday books for children. Displays can be found in both the Junior room, and the Children’s room
4. Prepare for a Long trip- Traveling the Holidays? Why not come in and check out one of our audiobooks. Hundreds are available at the library, and thousands more can be found on our website. Traveling by plane? Try out one of our lazy day books. These small paperback are the perfect size for air travel and do not have a set due date. So if you’re trip runs long, you don’t have to worry about being overdue.
5. Pick up a Stocking Suffer- Looking for a last minute gift? Our sale cart is filled with great books that cost anywhere from twenty-five cents to a dollar a piece. Support your library by picking up a gift for a loved one.
6. Support Your Local Food Pantry- We have a collection box for the Mount Vernon Food Pantry, which supports Readfield, Fayette, Vienna, and Mount Vernon. If you have any non-perishable foods you would like to donate, please bring them in during normal business hours.
7. Pick up a DVD for the kids- New children’s movies come in each month! Recent purchases include Maleficent, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, and How to Train Your Dragon 2.
8. Read the Book before You See the Movie- There are plenty of movies coming to theaters this holiday season based on books. Be ahead of the game by picking up the book first. We have Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, Wild by Cheryl Strayed, The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein, and American Sniper by Chris Kyle on our shelves.
9. Study Genealogy- The Readfield Library has access to ancestry.com on our computers and through our wi-fi connection. Come and learn about your family history.
10. Plan Your Holiday Meal- We have dozens of cookbooks at your disposal, and plenty of magazines with delicious recipes.
We hope you have a safe and Happy Holidays!